Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Blackhawks veteran defenseman Michal Rozsival 'ready for anything'

blackhawks jerseys

For a player who has weathered more than its fair share of any training camps throughout an NHL career that lasted 15 seasons, Michal Rozsival knows this one a little more than others.

After the Hawks were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season, the veteran defenseman was not sure if he would get another chance to play in the NHL if he did, there was certainly doubt that it would amount to the Indian head.

But on 30 June, Rozsival, 38, signed a one-year contract to return for a fifth season with the Hawks and is in the mix for what turned out to be a deep blue line.

"After last season, I had no indication or expectation that I would be back or not," Rozsival said. "I'm glad to be back."

Just how is the middle Rozsival Hawks defender is a mystery - even to him.

"Right now, I still do not know what my role is," the 38-year-old said. "It could be determined by how I play. The last four years I have played 20 games, I played 30 games and I played 50 games. I'm ready for anything and for any kind of role. obviously, I'd love to play. I'm still trying to fight for my ice time. "

Rozsival found some ice time - 19 minutes to be exact - in the 1-0 defeat of the Hawks Penguins in an exhibition Friday night at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. He finished with one shot, two hits and two blocked shots as the Hawks were shut out for the second straight game and dropped to 0-2 on the preseason.

Centre Scott Wilson scored the only goal, beating the keeper Lars Johansson in the opening seconds of the second period.

Rozsival enjoying every moment on the ice because he knows they are down.


"You never know what game you play can be one of the last games you play," said Rozsival. "I'm really enjoying all because it could be my last training camp. I look a bit different from the other times. "

After recovering from a horrific ankle injury suffered during the '15 playoffs, Rozsival returned to skate in 51 games last season and scored a goal with 12 assists. During this camp, he seems to have regained some of the lost speed after the injury.

"My ankle is better," he said. "Obviously, I had a little more time to prepare, so I feel good, I feel back on and I still love the game I still want to play, I know my time will not be very long -... you can not stop time, you can not stop aging. I'm just here and work hard and enjoy this time. "

The general manager Stan Bowman said Rozsival may be a factor this season.

"I think Michal played great hockey last year," said Bowman. "If anything, we probably played it too. Michal is on top of his game when you can give her some time to re-cooperate between games. He still has a lot of hockey left in him. "

No comments:

Post a Comment